Monday, May 22, 2006

Seeking Meaningful Employment

I've had many different jobs over the years, nonetheless I find myself searching for employment that fits me. I know this is a strange approach to finding work. The skill sets I've used in the past no longer fit. I don't have a commercial drivers license to drive truck anymore, which is just one of the many jobs I've held in the past. I was never satisfied with such work, even though it provided a good living for a period of time when I was raising a family. I've worked in power plant operations here in the interior, but was never happy in such positions even though they to, paid very well. The employment that I enjoyed the most, was a volunteer position, that paid nothing. I brought to that position the computer and people skills, I've acquired to organize a successful event. Before I was the chair of this organization I volunteered by providing the equipment, software and skills needed to produce the advertisement, web page and graphical arts for that event for several prior years. After becoming the chair, fund raising and public relations were the priority along with continuing to provide the latter while managing a diverse group of volunteers needed to accomplish our goals. I wish I could use those skills again in a position that would make me a decent living. That is the crux of my problem, trying to find something that was as satisfying as that was and pays me for it. Maybe, with a little luck I'll come across such a position. If my health holds and I live long enough.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:29 PM

    I've done everything from radio DJ to buyer of furs to managing a social housing project and looking after computer networks and still trying to figure out what I'm gonna be when I grow up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:59 PM

    I'm starting to think that we need to learn to love what we do, rather than do what we love.
    I started on a second career, because I found I could take my hobby that I loved and make lotsa money at it. You know what- it's not so much fun anymore. Oh well! ;)

    ReplyDelete